Sherlock as envisioned through a historical lens - The Scholar.
Tumblr link and ficlet here: [link]
This is a companion piece to my John Watson as a Soldier, done a year ago.
To see the companion piece, go here: [link]
To see both pieces side by side, go here:[link]
A Study in Pink
- the flower, dianthus or common name ‘pink’. Study in 'pink'.
- The skull
- knife in letters
The Blind Banker
- Map of London (London A-Z used to break the code)
A Scandal in Belgravia
- Table of Elements according to Aristotlian principles (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) As found in Sherlock's bedroom
The Reichenbach Fall
- Chess pieces. (I chose them according to their moves to reflect character. The white rook is John. The broken black bishop is Moriarty. The fallen white queen is Sherlock.) It was the last and biggest game of all.
Of course this wouldn’t be a proper Gothic era style picture without other symbols.
- The compass - morality
- the scales - balance, justice
- the letters - the historical version of Sherlock’s texting
- the book - in Latin it reads, “The Philosophy of Deduction. The philosophy can be summed up as follows: I. Observe all. II. From what is observed, all can be deduced. III. When the impossible is eliminated, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. My name is Sherlock Holmes.” In other words, it is his 'website' for others to read.
- The Vitruvian man - Sherlock’s studies.
- The anatomical drawing of the heart - John. In Latin it reads “We choose to love, we do not choose to cease loving. Yet my love will never cease as long as your heart beats.”
Based on elements from a Orley portrait and a Holbein portrait.